05 December 2008

Shock and Awe

I recently posted on Charity's blog about fire drills in elementary school. I suppose that growing up in a really bad town with a lot of violence is assumed to be a bad thing. In fact, I've always assumed it's a bad thing. But as Crimson gets older, I find myself torn. Part of me wants her to go to rough schools so she'll be able to get along with ANYONE in life and have empathy for people. The other part of me just doesn't want her exposed to that stuff. I kinda see Garden Grove as more of the latter than the former so I guess it isn't too bad.

Anyways, something occurred to me today. For as bad as Duarte was when I was a kid, it seems to have bred something special too. It was a small high school, about 1000 kids total. Just out of the people I knew there (probably about 200) there has been 2 NFL players, a VP of Goldman Sachs, a few doctorates, some housewives, some regular people, some criminals, and apparently a rock star! I've been living under a rock this century and had never heard of Spineshank or Silent Civilian. Turns out my "sleep through English class" partner in crime, Jonny Santos, is the lead singer of both bands. Even more surprising, if you like metal, these bands are both good and both very much like the Jonny I remember: not boring and bouncy yet growly.

Moral of the Story: Sometimes growing up rough is a good thing. It makes you a fighter.

No comments: