10 June 2009

Family?

*sigh* I think I've gotten to the point where I'm going to leave the subject of possible other children of my father alone. I managed to connect via internet with a gal who is the daughter of my father's 3rd (?) wife. I may have posted previously that I was trying to get in touch with her. I'm not sure. Anyways, she's not one of Louis' kids, but she did have this to say about him:

"Anyways, he was extremely sadistically abusive, yes, and my memories of him are not pleasant---at the ripe ages of 3 to 4, I was thrown across a room and into a wall, walked in on my mother being beaten while she was naked, and I spent alot of time with grandma after he held me down and force fed me when i had the flu until I threw up. They were not together even a year when she left him (running for her life and mine), and when he found her at my grandmother's, half of the West Covina police dept. showed up for his violent behavior." She went on to mention that incident involved him setting her grandmother's house on fire.

So, I'm thankful for the candor. My step-sibs who were raised by him were always rather cryptic. Mostly just "be glad you weren't raised by him" and "trust me, you didn't miss a thing, forget he exists". I think I just got a better picture why. I know my father had a temper and a propensity for violence, but I never saw anything but the slightest hints of it.

And people wonder why I read so many parenting books...

No comments: