12 March 2009

Move Over Dr. Phil, Here Comes Dr. Somov!



I randomly found this book at my local library. I love our library here but I think I’ve actually blogged about its wondrous nature in a previous post. The book is called “Eating the Moment” by Pavel G. Somov, PhD. He is a clinical psychologist in Pennsylvania. Dr. Somov’s book is described as “141 mindful practices to overcome overeating one meal at a time”. It is a very interesting mix of topics with exercises geared to become more aware of pretty much every aspect of eating and exercises to change habits. Since I’m currently undergoing a workbook-style cognitive behavioral therapy for my PTSD, I can definitely see some similarities in the exercises in Eating the Moment. I’d call it a blend of CBT and eastern philosophy practices. Dr. Somov’s approach is simple, fun, interesting and very fresh. It’s not a diet book, it’s a book to help become aware of what drives our eating behaviors and an exploration of ways to change the undesired aspects of that behavior. I’m only on page 57 but I’m completely impressed by this book. I would HIGHLY recommend this to anyone who struggles with food or their feelings toward food. I think it would be worth every penny of its $15.95 cover price (I’m lucky enough to get it at the library :P)

Anyways, thanks to Dr. Somov for coming up with such an interesting twist on CBT and the gift of being able to explain some meditative adaptations for those of us who fall asleep while trying to meditate. For instance, he used an analogy of a lava lamp being much like watching thoughts go by in meditation. You see the globs go by and you just watch one glob after another, none really distracting you or capturing your attention. I thought this was a really wonderful way to describe the way one is supposed to let thoughts pass in meditation. It also helped me to remember how much I love lava lamps because they are sooooo relaxing for me! He offers many different descriptions and analogies for many eastern principles so that these practices could easily be used by people who aren’t particularly interested in Buddhism but can still reap the benefit of some of its offerings. I just can’t say enough about how this book is written. I’ve had something new to really think on in every page and so many exercises to try out that I’m going to have to renew this book a few times. Most of all, this book has really given me some hope that I can achieve some mastery over my stress eating and feel better about myself in the food department.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

claire,
Thanks for sharing your thoughts on this book. It sound fantastic! Also, how is the picture taking coming along? did Rejie win out. I love the recent photo's and your tea party story!
love,
~liz