29 May 2009

Hey Anne! Name That Baby!

This list is mostly for Ms. Anne on my "People I Stalk on the Internet". I've only met her a couple times, long ago before she was married, but I found her to be lovely then and even more so now. She has five kids at home right now so I kinda caught a pattern in her naming preferences (I think!), so hopefully she’ll find a winner here!

I love names! I’ve been making name lists since I was in preschool. Writing lists of names over and over helped me stay calm and not so bored as a child and also is to be credited for my excellent penmanship.

Any name with two asterisks by it is my unsolicited advice for what to name Anne & Dominic’s son :) Feel free to offer comments with your opinions too! For the record, their other children at home are Bridget & Piper (the girls) & Regan, Ciaran, & Quinn (the boys)

IRISH NAMES THAT I COULDN’T FIND A SAINT FOR:

**Emmett
Fergal – brave & courageous
Garret – spear carrier
**Lochlan [LOCK-lun]
Riordan [REER-don] – royal poet
Seamus [SHAY-mus] – Irish form of James
Turlach – one who aids
**Dubhlainn [DUV-lin] – dark sword
Desmond
Cillian (Killian) – fierce & loyal
Carrick – rock

SAINT NAMES:


Finnén [FIN-yayn] (Finnian)
Fionnbhar (Finbarr)
Crispin
Cyprian
**Corcán (KURK-awn) – red, crimson
**Daigh [day] – fire
Faithleann [FAL-yan] (Fallon)
Farannán
**Librén [LEE-bren]
Lonán
Lucan
Marcán
Meallán [MYAL-awn] – lightning
Oliver
Rúadhán [ROO-awn] (**Rowan)
Tiarnach
Tressan
Ultán
Brogan
Beccán
Berach – pointed, sharp
Breccan – speckled
Cassán
**Abbán
Cairbre
Eoghan (Owen) – born of the yew tree
Faolan (Phelan) – wolf
Fergus – strong warrior
**Hugh – fire
**Lorcán – silent or fierce
Odhran (Oran/Orin) – dark-haired
**Ronan – little seal
**Tadhg [tyg] – poet philosopher
Simon
Simeon
Éimhín [AY-veen] – prompt, ready
**Declan
Dallán


A FEW GIRL NAMES FOR PASSERS-BY:

Aine (Anya) – splendor, radiance, brilliance
Alana/Alannah – darling child
Aislinn [AYSH-leen] – vision, dream
Caoimhe [KEE-va] – gentle, beautiful, precious
Blinne
Claire – clear, bright, famous
Graínne [GRAW-nya] (Grania)
Cadhla (Keela or Kyla) – beauty only poetry can capture
Maeve [mayv] – cause of great joy
Radha [ROW-uh] – vision; if you have a large Hindu population this name is also a diety-consort of that faith but is pronounced more like Roddah.
Saoirse [SEAR-sha] – freedom, liberty
Siobhán [shiv-AWN] – Irish form of Joan

5 comments:

Anne Basso said...

Oh my gosh! So many of those names are fantastic! Yes, you definitely caught a pattern, we do love the Celtic baby names. LOL

Okay, so we've met before...were you in the singles ward in Long Beach?

Claire Wessel said...

I'm glad you found some good ones on there :) I actually met you at Denny's when Crimson was a toddler (barely!). I saw you once with Regan and one time when you brought Dominic to meet the crew and then I never saw you again! I like to call that period of my life the "Post-Separation, Pre-Divorce, Lost in Limbo Idiot Phase". I can honestly say I turned my back on every single thing I ever cared about when my first marriage broke up. I took him divorcing me pretty hard!

So yeah, glad I met ya (and Gwen & a couple others) but the rest of that Early OC time I'm trying to forget!

I actually started wondering if you had connected dots or not when you said you knew someone in CA with a daughter named Crimson. Either you know another, you remembered me, or you were thinking of Jennifer. It never occurred to me that you might be friends with her but then I realized that you must know her since she hung out with that group of people for many years before I even met them. So yeah, the situation is complex and hard to actually describe to people without breaking out visual aids, but Jennifer is married to my ex-husband. You probably know the rest.

Anne Basso said...

Okay. Yes, I do know the rest. It never occurred to me that it was you that I knew with a daughter named Crimson! Small world, huh?

Claire Wessel said...

Yup! I didn't know it was you until I saw a pic of Dominic and then it clicked that you didn't just resemble Anne, you ARE Anne! hahaha

Anonymous said...

Small world! Six degrees of separation.